Friday, December 10, 2010

Born to Run

I have been reading this awesome book by Christopher McDougall and it makes me want to run all the time.  I ran my first 8 mile run, in months, on Monday and when I started to get tired this voice rang in my head saying, “if the Tarahumara can run 100’s of miles so can you,” and then next thing I know I’m done with 8 and ready for more.  
Running has become my escape the from insanity in my head where emotions are stored and the yearning for more never cease to exist.  It puts my mind to rest and my body at ease, especially when I want to ‘house’ down some kind of chocolate goodness.  Somedays, like today, I get so fatigued that 20 mins on the elliptical is all I can put it and, as hard as I am on myself, it is perfectly fine.  I constantly have this feeling that I can look better, lose more weight, be prettier, etc. etc. but while running it all ceases to exist. 
In Born to Run I found I am not alone in the insanity and that runners truly are a unique breed.  They’re humans in the raw, without fancy name brands, that just run for shear enjoyment.  While I know running isn’t the end all to my issues it is a momentary escape that, sometimes even, puts me closer to heaven running alongside Jesus and all his cohorts.
written - Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM


Update: I'm sure I will be posting more about this book later on but I wanted to share this youtube.com video from Dr. Lieberman on barefoot running. Enjoy! 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

No comments:

Post a Comment